Today we are experiencing some unseasonably warm weather. 90 degrees in April anyone? But as you can imagine I am NOT turning on the AC. Every so called sane person around me has probably done. But I have my standards, and April is just too early for me to turn on the AC, actually May is even too early for me to turn on the AC. So how does one keep cool when the thermometer is rising.
- Turn on the ceiling fans – but only when you are in the room. A ceiling fan will drop the temperature by 5 degrees by causing a breeze.
- Plan your cooking for the coolest part of the day, for some this is in the morning, for others after the sun goes down. While you are cooking, go ahead and cook twice as much. This will help you to not heat up the kitchen so much later
- Eat more uncooked foods. Raw foods like salads and fruits help to keep your body cooler.
- When the sun comes up close the curtains. Better yet get some curtains that are insulated, not only do they keep out the cold in the summer they keep out the heat in the summer.
- If you are lucky enough to have the temperature drop when the sun goes down, open the windows at night. Sometimes it is cooler outside then it is inside
- If it is only marginally warm, open one window downstairs and one window upstairs, at the opposite side of the house. This will create a draft effect and pull the cool air though the house. You can even use a box fan to help pull the hot air out of the house.
- Don’t run any appliances, like the dryer that will add heat to the house. Better yet use a clothesline if you can.
- Be sure to stay hydrated, when the temperature rises, we tend to perspire more. This is our body’s way of cooling us off. Don’t try to stop the perspiration, because it is a cooling mechanism, rather drink more and remember water is the best drink for hydrating.
- Get into some water – go for a swim, water the garden, wash the car or just take a shower. You will cool off your body’s core temperature in doing so.
- Wear a hat when you go outside, I know you are supposed to wear a hat to keep in body heat, but if you wear a loosely woven straw hat it will shade you and that shade keeps you cooler.
- If you can’t take a shower, just wet your hair, having wet hair will cool you down.
- Dress appropriately, think about it, people who live where it is very hot tend to cover up more than they expose. When the humidity is low this works because it keeps the sun off of your skin. I like to wear a light weight shirt over a sleeveless dress. Long flowing clothing will keep you cooler. Natural fabrics like cotton, silk and linen will breath.
- Run cold water over your wrists, this cools down your blood going back to your heart, and will cool you down very nicely.
What are your Favorite tips for staying cool when it is HOT out?