Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Basic Homemade “Cliff Bars”

 Welcome Everyone ! If you are visiting from Pinterest be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing! 
no bake cliff bars small
This recipe was developed by my dear husband after he learned just how much a box of protein bars goes for.  You see somehow last week an 18 count box of Lara Bars disappeared in my house.  When I complained that $18 worth of food was missing my husband realized just how much protein bars cost.
In a true man fashion he decided to come up with a solution.  Make our own, the best part it was all from ingredients we already had in the house. It pays to have a well stocked pantry.
This is a basic recipe, we are still tweaking it. But from this basic recipe we have made two different versions. Those of you who know me, know that I am a little of this, little of that sort of cook.  Please feel free to use this recipe as a jumping off point for your own combinations.
Basic Peanut Butter “Cliff Bar” Recipe
no bake cliff bars
  • 2 cups of a cereal grain like oatmeal or brown rice puffs
  • 2 cups of peanut butter or other nut butter, we like nutella but it has diary in it
  •  1 cup  dried fruit (optional)
  • optional – chocolate chips, cinnamon, other spices, nuts
  • 1/2 cup of honey
Combine the honey and peanut butter and heat on stove or in microwave until peanut butter is melted and honey is thoroughly combined.
In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients and mix well, my husband recommends using a butter knife. It will start to come together like dough when it is mixed well.
Pour mixture in a wax paper lined pan, tap down with a flat object, like a cast iron pan  and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until firm.
Cut into bar size piece and wrap in wax paper, they may be sticky.

What I love about this recipe is the ability to change the flavors and use whatever is on hand. If you want to increase the protein level you could add your favorite protein powder to this mix, but as it is it delivers more protein than a pb sandwich.

this post is linked up to Green and Natural MamasSimple Lives ThursdayPenny Wise PlatterLiving Well Blog Hop,Fresh Bites FridayHomestead Barn HopHearth and Soul Blog HopTraditional TuesdaysHealthy 2Day WednesdayThe Green Phone Booth

16 comments:

Free Range Mama said...

Looks great!! We'll have to try it.

Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama said...

I am so excited to try this! Baby loves the Organic Kids' Cliff Bars when he needs a snack on the go. This looks like an easy recipe for him to make with me too.

Thanks for linking up at the Green & Natural Mamas Linky!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Charise this recipe is so easy, no harder than no bake cookies, and the best part is you control what goes in them. If you want less sugar, cut the dried fruit out, if you want more protein add nuts, gluten free no problem, make them with oats or rice cereal. Have fun trying new combinations of flavors.

Joanna said...

Do you just use regular rolled oats for this? This looks SO easy and yummy! Do they hold together well?

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Joanna, we have used both oatmeal and brown rice crispies, and they hold together wonderfully well, since you heat up the peanut butter and honey and mix it with the cereal.

jo said...

These are great bars! Thanks for sharing on the Living Well BLog Hop!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Can't wait to try your Lara Bars too Jo!

jen said...

I now have this page bookmarked so I can try the recipe!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Enjoy it Jen, I "lived" on these bars this week, since I had a cold and nothing else tasted good to me.

Good Girl Gone Green said...

Looks yummy, Lisa! :) :)

Alea @ Premeditated Leftovers said...

I am really excited about this recipe. My kids love cliff bars but they are so expensive. Thanks for sharing this recipe; I will be featuring it on my highlights next Tuesday.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Alea, thanks so much for featuring my, or rather my husband's recipe. He is basking in the glow of this recipe and how many people are loving it.

Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy said...

I've seen a lot of homemade protein bar recipes, and this is definitely one of the easiest. Sounds yummy, too! Thanks for sharing at Healthy 2Day Wednesday, and don't forget to come back next week and see if you were featured!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Anne, that was my husband's goal to make it cheap and easy, and for me it is real easy because he makes them every week for us.

melissa said...

These look awesome! I love Clif bars, but not their long list of ingredients, or the cost. I will have to give these a try. I love homemade Lara like bars (1 part dates, 1 part walnuts, and anything else you want to add, blended and then shaped), which I usually shape into energy balls, but the husband is not a fan. I think he would like these. Thanks for sharing, and for linking up with me, too!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest