Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Quinoa and Kale Powerhouse Foods.

You can find more Real Food Recipes here
Cooking with Quinoa

quinoa and kaleThis is a quick and easy dish, using two of the super foods

Considered a super food by many, quinoa is also considered an ancient grain,. In reality the part we eat is the seeds. Unlike other grains, it is a complete protein. I recently started cooking with quinoa this past fall. It is relatively easy to cook. If you can cook rice you can cook quinoa. In fact if you are used to cooking brown rice it will take less time. The ration is the same as that for rice two cups of water to a boil  to  one cup of grain. I bring the water, or a broth can be substituted, to a boil then  cover and cook  at a low simmer and 14–18 minutes or until the germ separates from the seed. Some people use a rice steamer. I like to cook up a big batch of grains every few days to use later in other recipes. Kale is easily grown in the garden, and some areas can get two fresh crops out of it a years.  If you have a brown thumb or are in the middle of a drought like I am you are in luck, because, Kale is readily available in most supermarkets.


Recently I decided to see what would happen if I combined quinoa with another super food  KALE.  Kale is easily grown in the garden, and some areas can get two fresh crops out of it a years.  If you have a brown thumb or are in the middle of a drought like I am you are in luck, because, fresh Kale is readily available in most supermarketsI have even found frozen kale.  Frozen Kale is one of secret ingredients, but hush don’t tell my kids, they think it is herbal seasoning.
 
Quinoa With Kale and Cannellini Beans
Three Stars (based on 5) –5 being the number in my family, 3 being how many liked/loved this dish. This was so good that my husband and Pumpkin went back for more. 
This is a super easy recipe and is great for those nights you need something quick. 


Ingredients
Overnight Crockpot Broth  or One box of Veg Broth (if you want a vegetarian option) 
One clove of Garlic, I used some from farmers market- much better!
One can of organic black  beans, rinsed
One bunch of Kale
A shake of turmeric
A shake or two of powdered Ginger
A shake of Lemon Grass
A shake of allspice
( I simply shake the powdered spices over the broth, while heating it)
Directions
  • Sauté garlic in olive oil
  • Add broth and spices –bring to a boil
  • Add 1 cup of quinoa cook until done -it will absorb all the broth when done.
  • Drain and rinse the canned beans.
  • Remove from heat and add one bunch of Kale  well chopped, mix in and recover pot. The heat will "cook " the kale

Enjoy as a main course or side dish.
What is your favorite way to use Quinoa?




For more great Real Food Recipes check out these Great Sites. Traditional Tuesdays,Pennywise Platter at The Nourishing GourmetGood Cheap Eats,Food Renegade - Fight Back Friday Real Food HealthBeauty and Bedlam - Ten Minute Dinner Ideas
Technorati Tags: ,,,kale

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to use quinoa in tabbouleh, especially for the protein value. I recently made it with red quinoa - such vibrant colours and so healthy.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Oh that sounds wonderful I love tabbouleh, but haven't eaten it this year as I am trying to stay gluten free for health reasons. I might have to try that

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest