In so many households Christmas morning is over in a blink of an eye. The kids wake up early and race Mom and Dad to the tree and stockings. While Mom and Dad are still trying to fully wake up the kids begin tearing into the gifts and wrapping paper going every where. 10 minutes later Christmas morning is over, well at least for the kids it is. Mom and Dad have a mess to clean up.
So how can you make Christmas Morning Last?
Some families have Christmas Morning traditions that help Christmas last a little longer than 10 minutes.
- Establish a stockings only rule before Breakfast. Kids and adults may only open their stockings before breakfast. Be sure to have a really special breakfast for the kids to enjoy.
- Save the majority of the presents for after Mass or Church. Let the kids get their stockings and Santa Clause gifts if time allows before Mass. Save the gifts from family, grandma, grandpa for after mass.
- Pass out only one gift at a time from under the tree and take turns opening the gifts.
- Pass out all the gifts and have everyone sit in a circle, take turns going around the circle opening gifts.
- Have a scavenger hunt for the gifts or just on special one.
- Save some gifts for after dinner, Grandparents gifts make a good choice for this especially if Grandparents are not there in the morning but are there for dinner
- If you visit other relatives over the holidays save their presents for when you visit them.
- Exchange some of the gifts on New Years Eve or Day. This is something I have done with my brothers and their families since we were kids.
- If you really want to make Christmas last save a few gifts for the kids for the Feast of the Epiphany, We all have those gifts we bought real early and hid and forgot where we put them.