This soup does take some time to prep, but is is so worth the extra time and effort. According to my oldest (13 year old Pi ) this soup is smooth and savory.
- 1 Onion diced
- I Leek (peeled, washed and sliced)
- 3-5 Garlic cloves (organic has more flavor)
- 2-3 Shallots
- A small handful of chives or green new onions (I used wild onions this time)
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1tsp of olive oil
- 4 quarts of beef broth -
- 1/2 lb. of carrots
- 4-5 potatoes
- 1/2 lb. of lentils
- In a sturdy pan like a Dutch Oven melt butter with a little olive oil.(This keep the butter from burning.
- Slice all of your onions, garlic shallots and leeks.
- Add your onions and, garlic, shallots and leeks to the already melted butter. They will look like a lot in your pan, don’t worry they will cook down. (quite a bit).
- Put the lid on the onion mixture and turn the heat down. At this point you want to sweat your onions. Sweat them until they start to brown. Take your time with this step don’t rush it.
- Once your onion mixture has sweated down it will reduce in size to about 1/4 of what it was before and it will turn a nice golden brown color.
- Add the 4 quarts of beef broth, along with carrots potatoes and lentils to the pan. Continue cooking until the carrots and potatoes are cooked through. (you can do this part in a crock pot if you wish and it will still come out yummy).
- Garnish with snipped chives or fresh green onions. I used wild onions.