Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Friday, March 23, 2012

10 Things I used To Be Good At


cross basket

You all know the story, before I had kids I was a different person. I had my kids a little later, I was 31 when I had my first. I had lots of time to develop who I was.  Before I had kids I had a whole slew of talents. Since then some have disappeared and others have emerged.
  1. I was very organized, I was so organized in fact that I would organize my husband’s socks by color. Yes I was that type of organized.  Now our socks are all in a basket together
  2. I was great at event planning. The same year I got married, I was in charge or a weekend long 4th of July Festival that had 18,000 people attend. Now I plan no frills birthday parties for my kids at the park.
  3. I knew how to ski and ice skate. Today I think I would fall down if I ventured out on skates or skis.
  4. I regularly logged 20 plus miles a week, walking or hiking, now I am lucky to get in 10 miles a week.
  5. I was able to read a book a day and not Dr. Seuss but a non fiction book
  6. I was able to keep a house nicely decorated, orderly and clean, now I strive to not step on Legos in the Living room in the dark.
  7. I knew exactly what kind of parent I was going to be, now I am still working that out at each new stage.
  8. I could prepare a 5 course gourmet dinner – now it is more like a crockpot meal. (who has time now?)
  9. I used to be able to stay out to 11pm, now I prefer to stay be home in my jammies by 9 pm.
  10. I used to be able to appreciate sleeping in on the weekend, now I am lucky if I sleep in to 8am on the weekend, even when I want to and can sleep in. 

How about you? What were you once good at that you no longer do?

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to be good at being on time.
I used to be able to keep my car clean.
I used to be 50 lbs lighter.
I used to sleep late on the weekends.
I used to be able to leave to go somewhere at the drop of a hat.
I used to shop for myself.
I used to eat a bowl of ice cream for dinner.
I used to not have cavities.
I used to not have stretch marks.
But I also used to be lonely, selfish, and bored. Wouldn't change it for the world!

Jonathan Cariveau said...

Hey there, I love your blog :) I'll be subscribing and keeping you in my prayers. Parenthood is something that I'm already looking forward to with both dread and joy - I know that there is much I have to prepare for, and it will change me even more. Someday I'll have a list like this, and so will my wife, whoever she turns out to be. But the joys and blessings make it all worth it, and hey, God uses those sufferings and losses (if they really are losses) to our spiritual benefit. God bless you and your whole family!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Jeanette - Great list, I can't remember the last time my car was clean, or stayed that way for more than a day. and I admit sometimes if it wasn't for the kids I would not cook dinner and just eat something right out the bag. Great how being a parent changes us isn't it?

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Jonathan, I think it is wonderful that you are already looking forward to becoming a parent. It does change you in so many ways, but mostly good ones. Enjoy this stage of life you are in now, but remember each stage is just as great.

Lindsey said...

I'm impressed that you could do those things before! I honestly couldn't do most of the things on your list. Kids are chaos.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Thanks Lindsey, I would like to say that I am no longer the organized wonder that I was, my car is dirty and my dinning room table has disappeared under half finished projects.

Yvonne said...

I used to have dreams
I used to hope
I used to be more energetic
I used to believe in people
sounds like the beginning of a country song, doesn't it? lol I still have dreams and hope, but it's not always easy to do. Trying not to become jaded. Your list is way more entertaining and amazing than mine! :)

Sisterhood of the Sensible Moms said...

Love this blog. Glad to have found it at Write on Edge. Your list sounds about right---it really is true that children change you.

I had a honeymoon baby so experience is slightly skewed, but I can appreciate a certain sense of loss for the person I was before parenting too. Nice work, Erin

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Thanks Yvonne, our dreams do change, and so do our lives, once we have kids. I agree though that when they are younger the kids do seem to get their energies straight from us though. This season you are in will pass though, hopefully the next one will be amazing for you.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Efin - isn't writing amazing? What started out as a post about who I was before kids and the life I wanted ended up condensed to this. I am sure there are so many more ways that having kids have changed me but I will have to save that for another day.

Anonymous said...

I used to sit and read for hours in silence.
I used to sleep more than 4 hours at a time.
I used to remember things.
I used to be able to see my toes from a standing position without bending over.
I used to have time to fix my hair and put on make-up every day.
I used to dress in something other than yoga pants.

I wish I could say I used to be organized, but that has never been me.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Ah, to read in silence, what is that? It seems like it has been a decade, oh, wait is has been a decade.

Lady Goo Goo Gaga said...

Funny enough I just blogged about my filthy house and how I have zero desire to clean it....sigh

http://lgoogoogaga.wordpress.com/2012/03/25/a-clean-break/

Debbie said...

I used to read for a couple hours before I went to sleep. Now I just sleep.

I used to get up and get dressed every morning. Now sometimes I don't get dressed before 3pm. I am in sweats a lot more then I used to be.

I use to be 60 pounds liter.

I use to be able to walk faster then my husband. Since my c-section 9 years ago, it tire faster then I use to and my lower back is weaker then it use to be.

I used to trust people. Things have happened and now I have more fears then I use to.

I use to think about praying and now I pray more as that is the only way to get through the day.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest