You all know the story, before I had kids I was a different person. I had my kids a little later, I was 31 when I had my first. I had lots of time to develop who I was. Before I had kids I had a whole slew of talents. Since then some have disappeared and others have emerged.
- I was very organized, I was so organized in fact that I would organize my husband’s socks by color. Yes I was that type of organized. Now our socks are all in a basket together
- I was great at event planning. The same year I got married, I was in charge or a weekend long 4th of July Festival that had 18,000 people attend. Now I plan no frills birthday parties for my kids at the park.
- I knew how to ski and ice skate. Today I think I would fall down if I ventured out on skates or skis.
- I regularly logged 20 plus miles a week, walking or hiking, now I am lucky to get in 10 miles a week.
- I was able to read a book a day and not Dr. Seuss but a non fiction book
- I was able to keep a house nicely decorated, orderly and clean, now I strive to not step on Legos in the Living room in the dark.
- I knew exactly what kind of parent I was going to be, now I am still working that out at each new stage.
- I could prepare a 5 course gourmet dinner – now it is more like a crockpot meal. (who has time now?)
- I used to be able to stay out to 11pm, now I prefer to stay be home in my jammies by 9 pm.
- I used to be able to appreciate sleeping in on the weekend, now I am lucky if I sleep in to 8am on the weekend, even when I want to and can sleep in.
How about you? What were you once good at that you no longer do?