Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Friday, March 30, 2012

Ten Things I Want to Tell My Daughters



IMG_8068


A friend recently shared this post Ten Things I Want to Tell Teenage Girls. This prompted me to think of a few things I want to tell my daughters (Peanut is 11 and Pi is 14).
  1. It is better to be loved than to be popular. To be loved be a friend, be a true friend.
  2. It may be hard to do what is right but doing what is right will get you where you need to go.
  3. Study hard, and work hard, but make time for friends and family.
  4. When you are talking to someone, speak kindly, you never know who that person is or what sort of day they are going through, do not judge people by the first meeting, they may be having a bad day. In the same vein, do not let people take advantage of you because they are having a bad day.
  5. Stick up for yourself, others and what is right. Just as you would not speak unkindly to others do not let them speak unkindly to you .
  6. Friends will come and go, you will only be friends with about 4% of those people you went to high school. Your family will be here forever for you. Remember that when your sister and brother drive you crazy. They will still be here for you if you are there for them.
  7. Treat your friends like family and your Family like your friends. Don’t save your good manners for the company, use them with your family. Conversely treat your friends like family  and make them feel welcome in your house.
  8. Money does not buy happiness, learning to manage your money will however help you get there. Spend less than you make and save 10% of everything you make, no matter how little you make.
  9. Dress nicely appropriately for the occasion. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to have a nice simple outfit that does not embarrass yourself or your family. Before you leave the house look in the mirror and think what does this outfit say about who I am and who my family is? Does it say “we don’t believe in doing laundry?” As unfortunate as it sounds, people will judge on how you dress.
  10. Wait to find your love, pray to find your love. You may not recognize your true love when you find it, but if you give God a chance your true love will find you. Your true love may be your future husband a job or a vocation.

What would YOU add to this list?
Technorati Tags:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved number 6. This list will be very helpful when my daughter turn 18 (in 16 years :-)

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Thanks I heard that one today at a talk on bullying. But it is so true. I have maybe just a couple of friends from elementary school that happened to go to high school with me, but really we were more friends in elementary than high school, since we ran in different groups then. Friends to come and go in seasons.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest