Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Quick and Easy Composting



compost-bins-made-from-pallets

Not long ago I wrote 36 Things You Can Compost. Today I would like to share with you how easy composting can be. So many of us hear the words composting and we think, “I don’t have room for that”, or “yuck, smelly, and messy” Well I am going to try to debunk those myths.
Composting can be small and easy if you want it to be. It can be as easy as
  1. Collecting your kitchen scraps in a bowl or even plastic container with a lid (I did not just say plastic did  I? Yes I did, better to reuse it for a non-food purpose than throw it away.)
  2. Empty the kitchen container into a larger container or a compost pile. I use both to tell the truth.
  3. Turn the compost pile occasionally(gardening can count for exercise).
  4. Let it cook
  5. Enjoy spreading it in your garden or compost in place.
You don’t need a lot of space to compost, you don’t even need a house with a yard. Stephanie at Good Girl Gone Green is composting in an apartment. People in Germany regularly set out the compost along with their recycling and trash. Guess which container is the smallest? Yup the trash.
I started off with a small garden in a town house when we were first married, I would compost the food in a 5 gallon bucket outside. Now I have  a counter top composting crock. When that is full we empty, usually once a day, we empty it into our outside compost bin. Our outside bin is an old trash can that is cracked and full of holes on the bottom. This allows the water to permeate down and out. Water is a key component to composting. When our outside barrel is full we dump it onto our compost pile. Since I like to practice composting in place, our compost pile moves to where ever I am planning a new garden bed. This saves me time in moving the compost to the new bed once it is done.
How about you, do you compost? Do you plan on composting this year? Any good tips for composting? Share below.


see more great posts at Your Green Resource


Technorati Tags:

5 comments:

Lauren Wayne said...

What a smart idea to put the compost pile in the garden bed! I never thought about that, but it would definitely save on some shoveling later. I keep thinking we should start composting in our apartment, but I really have no idea where to put another bin. We do save yard/food waste for the outside yard waste cart pickup, but I'd love to do worm composting, maybe on our teensy balcony… :)

Lisa Weidknecht said...

Thank you for linking up with the Planet Weidknecht Weekend Hop!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Lauren, I would definitely try to compost on the balcony. I used to use 5 gallon food buckets from food service. You can get one with a lid to keep unwanted stuff out of it too (like little ones who like to explore).

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

We have a couple of compost piles that are similar to those in the phot. In the kitchen I keep a bucket (from bulk dishwasher detergent) under the sink with the lid on loosely; we throw all compostable kitchen scraps in there and when it gets full, we carry it out and dump it onto the big pile.

Neither the bucket under the sink or the big compost pile smell bad like many people think they will. My husband takes care of the outdoor compost, adding garden waste to it and turning it occasionally. There is no set schedule, but I'd guess he only turns once a month or so and it all turns out fine.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

You are so right Annie, they do not smell at all when done right. Since I practice composting in place I hardly ever turn the pile, just move it over to the next spot.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest