Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Tenebrae–Entering the Shadows of Holy Week


tenebrae-candlestick


With Holy Week upon us Catholic have many mass and services to attend. For some Palm Sunday is a favorite. I mean not only do you get something when you come to church, blessed palms but you get to recreate the triumphant entrance of Jesus Christ into Jerusalem. For many Easter is their favorite as we celebrate Jesus’s triumphant over death with his resurrection. For me one of my favorite services of Holy Week is Tenebrea. Tenebrae is the name given to the celebration, with special ceremonies, of Matins and Lauds, the first two hours of the Divine Office, of the last three days of Holy Week. We observe Tenebrea in our disease after Vespers of Palm Sunday. This allows for more people to come and participate.
Tenebrea starts as any other Reading of the Divine Office.  What sets Tenebrae apart is the gradual extinguishing of candles upon a stand in the sanctuary, gradually reducing the lighting throughout the service.. The last candle is taken out of the church representing the light of Christ leaving.us in death. Tenebrea ends in complete darkness. But the part that my kids love is the “Great Noise”.My kids, and everyone else in the church get to make noise and a LOT of  it. The ‘great noise” at the end of Tenebrea is made by banging hymnals or prayer books on the pews.
There is much symbolism in the Service of Tenebrea. In fact it’s name is a symbol in an of itself. Tenebrea means shadow and represents the shadows and darkness that the death of Jesus plunge us into. The great noise  of Tenebrea is symbolic of the Earth Quake that shook the sanctuary when Christ died. It is is symbolic of the chaos that we plunge into when Christ has left us.
Technorati Tags: ,

This post is linked up to Saints and Scriptures at Kennedy Adventures,  and Equipping Catholic Families

4 comments:

Sheila said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dianna@KennedyAdventures said...

See - you've taught me something this week! I'm not at all familiar with Tenebrae - I'll have to read up on this, and see if any local parishes are participating!

Thanks for sharing, and have a blessed, wonderful Holy Week!

A Real Pilgrimage said...

Hi Lisa, I saw your post at Equipping Catholic Families. Thank you for sharing about the Tenebrae. We do something similar on Good Friday when praying the Stations of the Cross. Blessed Holy Weeek!!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Thanks Xhonane!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest