Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Green and Thrifty Easter Basket Ideas


family pictures 013
(my son’s idea is that they make good Easter Hats)
It is not too soon to think about Easter Baskets. I know Lent just barely started but I like to have a plan so here we go. Just like Christmas I want to keep Easter meaningful. After all there probably is no more important holiday in the Catholic Liturgical Year. As my great grandmother(a midwife by the way) used to say, “Millions of babies are born but only ONE rose from the dead.” How can we keep our Easter Baskets meaningful while keeping them green and not have it cost us a ton of money?
  • This first one is an easy one. We reuse Easter Baskets. Now how does that work you may be wondering? Well The Easter Bunny delivers the goods while we are at mass and mom puts it in the basket and hides them with a trail of clues.
  • If you don’t find the idea of reusing your baskets your cup of tea, you can find and use  unusual containers or Easter Baskets at thrift stores or Yard Sales
  • Be selective in the candy. I like to include one medium size piece of chocolate, picking one that is bound to be a favorite of my children. For Peanut that will be a white chocolate, and for Pi something more sophisticated like chocolate with salted caramel.
  • Remember less is more. Be selective in your items. In keeping the candy to a minimum you not only don’t have hyper kids but you make that candy all the more special and more meaningful.
  • I like to include an outside toy such as chalk or jump ropes or a kite, you can often get these at discount stores or dollar stores
  • Include some useful things all of us are in need of new water bottles. thanks to a certain lab who will remain nameless, that chews the lids when she finds them.
  • Do away with the plastic grass, if you must use “grass” try some excelsior, or grow some wheat grass
  • If baskets are available before Church you might want to include something  to wear for Easter, like gloves or a pocketbook for girls, or Easter socks for a boy.
  • Since Easter is a religious Holy Day first and foremost and not just a secular holiday it is always good to include something of a religious vein.  you can find some great ideas at Catholic Icing, and Shower of Roses. I especially love the idea of giving your kids something from their Patron Saint, or for an older child St. Christopher Medals in their sport.
Perhaps the best thing you can do to make Easter more green, more meaningful and not break the bank is give less for Easter. A smaller basket with 3 meaningful things in it says more than a big one full of cheap plastic toys and bad tasting/bad for you candy.
Tell us how do you plan on keeping the meaning in Easter Baskets this year?
family pictures 055

this post is linked up to Works for me WednesdayGreen and Natural MamasSeasonal Celebration Sunday

4 comments:

Dreena M. Tischler said...

I re-use my baskets every year. We treat them like Christmas stockings; we put them out the night before and they are filled at night.

We have scaled back our baskets quite a bit as you suggest. I usually include a "for everyone" video (religious) and family game because we do tire of playing the same games through the year.

I am not ready to give up the grass! I know I should but just not ready . . .

Our kids hunt for plastic eggs (often damp here!) so I save and re-use those as well. My SIL gave us the idea of putting in trinkets instead of all candy, so I do that now. A pretty stone, a penny, a feather, jacks, a bouncy ball, a tiny figure; all are treasures and I think the kids like them MORE than candy! When we have babies/toddlers, we make special eggs for them with nothing that can be swallowed and mark them with a sticker. LAter, the older kids trade the sticker ones to the baby.

Christine said...

We hide and reuse our plastic eggs each year but I give each child their OWN color to hunt for. Then I can personalize what goes inside of them. also keeps the grab for eggs to a minimum instead they help each other if they spy someone else's color!

Christine said...

We hide and reuse our plastic eggs each year but I give each child their OWN color to hunt for. Then I can personalize what goes inside of them. also keeps the grab for eggs to a minimum instead they help each other if they spy someone else's color!

Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama said...

Great suggestions! We reuse baskets, stay away from candy, and only include small green toys and books :-)

Thanks for linking up at the Green & Natural Mamas Bloghop! Pinning this to my new bloghop Pinterest board too :-)

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest