This dish might not sound frugal since last time I checked prosciutto was $10 a lbs. But in reality, prosciutto is so full of flavor that a little goes a long way and the same can be said for the pine nuts.
This recipe is very forgiving, if you are vegetarian omit the prosciutto, if you like you can serve it over a pasta or add some parmesan cheese. My son’s favorite pasta is currently an artichoke flour pasta.
You will need
- 1-2 lbs. of brussel sprouts
- 4 oz. of prosciutto
- 1 tbs of butter
- 1 tbs of olive oil
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Core and slice the brussel sprouts in half.
- Crush and chop your garlic add to the skillet and sauté
- In a cast iron skillet melt butter, add olive oil so butter will not burn.
- Crush and chop your garlic add to the skillet and sauté in olive oil and butter
- Add your brussel sprouts. Toss to coat with butter and olive oil and pan roast them. You may choose to roast in an oven at 450 degrees, but they cook rather quickly and may burn this way.
- Chop your prosciutto, and add to the pan to warm.
- In a separate pan roast your pine nuts. Sprinkle over your brussel sprouts.
This dish naked would serve 2-3 or with pasta 4-5.
For more Great Recipes check out Penny Wise Platter Thursday Good Cheap Eats, Simple Lives Thursday, Fight Back Friday at the Food Renegade, Beauty and Bedlam