Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Monday, June 13, 2011

Must Have Essential Oils to Have in Your Home

IMG_4833
I have been using essential oils in the home now for about 20 years. I think I started with lavender, just for its aroma therapy use. But I quickly learned just how versatile these oils are. I have many more oils but these 4 can always be found in my home and often in my car too.
Tea Tree Oil – If I was to choose only essential oil to have in my home it would be Tea Tree Oil or Melalucca. This essential oil is so versatile. It can be applied to the skin for minor cuts and scrapes or mixed into a a natural cleaner. It has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties.  I even keep some in my car for those cut and scraps away from home.
Lavender – Lavender oil smells wonderful of course but has so many uses. One of my favorites that you may not know about is to treat minor burns. It was discovered by a French chemist that not only did it safely treat burns it was quite effective. After suffering from a burn the only liquid he had in his lab was lavender oil. He submerged his whole hand in the oil. The burn healed completely. I have used this myself to soothe burns that occasionally get. Lavender is also traditionally used in laundry. In fact the name lavender comes from the Latin word lavare – meaning to wash.  Lavender has anti microbial properties and has been known for centuries for its ability to deter bugs.  But lavender is best well known for its relaxing element. When you need to calm down just rub a little on your temples.
Peppermint Oil  - I keep this oil on hand because it has multiple uses. we might all recognize that peppermints settle a queasy stomach. But just put a couple of drops of peppermint oil under your nose for the same effect.  Peppermint also helps with clarity, a sniff of peppermint will clear your mind. Peppermint is an essential during the cold season for us. When you have a stuffy head. We put a little on a facecloth and put in the corner of the shower to release that menthol
Eucalyptus Oil – You need to be careful with this one, and use sparingly. But it is great for sinus  and respatory problems.  Eucalyptus oil makes a great bug repellent. It can ease rheumatism, arthritis and muscular pains and aches. Mix a few drops in a spray bottle with denatured alcohol and spray on effected areas. Eucalyptus oil is very stimulating ,so do not use it on anyone who is pregnant or suffers from high blood pressures, heart disease, hypertension and epilepsy.

For more great ideas check out Simple Lives Thursday

4 comments:

carol l mckenna said...

Very informative ~ wow ~ new/old ideas that work ~ thanks for sharing ~ stopping by from Tickle Me Tuesday Blog Hop ~ ^_^

Daily Grace said...

Thank you for the information. I have used Tea Tree Oil in my dogs ears before, but never for anything else.

Rachel @ day2day joys said...

I love this uses for al of these essential oils! We use Tea Tree oil for numerous things but never knew about Eucalyptus Oil, I think we;ll have to get it and check out a natural bug spay I have to see if it's in there. Thanks for linking up with Healthy 2day Wednesdays last week, this weeks link up is now open! See you there! :)

Diana@Spain in Iowa said...

Thanks for this post! I am actually off to purchase some eucalyptus oil tomorrow to use as a bug repellant. Thanks again for linking up to Simple Lives Thursday!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest