This week we are working in the Living room. In our home the living room is where everyone gathers. Seriously, I don’t know why my kids have bedrooms. They spend most of their time in the living room. This is where the homework is done and where they would bring their toys to play. When the kids were younger they had a playroom, but it was more like a room sized toy closet because they would bring the toys to the living room. I can only presume that because our house is an open plan home they just wanted to be in the center of it all.
In order for a living room to be the center of you home it needs to be livable. I love that my kids play in here, read in here and do homework here. Yes we do have movie nights here too.
For many of us the living room/family room becomes the collecting spot for all those things family. Time for 20 % less, the math is easy people. Count and release 20% of these things to let someone else enjoy them.
- Toys – if you store toys in the living room, it is time to go through them. Do the kids use them anymore? Are they broken, pieces missing?
- Board Games – we book shelves of these. But it seems we don’t get to play them much, life gets busy.
- Pillows – do you have throw pillows? Are they decorative?
- Throw Blankets – it can be 90 degrees outside but when my kids come in from swimming they like to snuggle under a blanket.
- Craft Supplies - I realize you may have another rom for crafting but, if so take a look at it. Go through those supplies now. Perhaps you had plans to make something but never did. It is okay.
- Open the Closets - Does your entryway or living room, or formal living room in your house. Open on the closets there. Time to clean them out. Do you need to keep the stuff in there?