This year we have the perfect convergence. Holy Week is not only the same week as Earth Week but it is also Screen Free Week. Now for the Granola Catholic Family we try to make all three happen every week.
Some ideas to make this week more meaningful
- If you are not willing to give up TV completely make your viewing intentional. Watch movies such as Chronicles of Narnia , especially The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, which is a great allegory for the death and resurrection of our Lord
- Better yet read the the Chronicles of Narnia with your kids
- Turning off the tv allows for more outside time with your kids, plant a garden or just recycle a milk carton with some radishes. They grew quickly and you are recycling too. Nature Mom has a bunch of ideas on her blog.
- Go for a hike, perhaps at sunset. You don’t have to go far to take a hike, many urban and suburban areas have wonderful trail system. A hike or walk at sunset will replace screen time with back to nature time. The birds and other native animals tend to be more active at this time of day too.
- Try an outside Stations of The Cross – many of these are in beautiful garden like settings. Little ones tend to be quite content outside where they can run around.
- Try making one of craft projects. A great way to pass the time, up cycle things around the house and learn about the Passion of our Lord
- Try cooking some vegetarian meals together as a family. Eating meatless is an easy way to do something for the planet and fasting and abstaining are time honored ways of observing Holy Week
I would LOVE to hear how you are planning to spend this momentous week. Holy Week, Earth Week or Screen Free Week. Share your thoughts below.