I think Kermit the Frog said it best. Even though my brothers and I grew up in a Green Family. We did not realize it growing up but looking back there were many signs of it.
- My parents bought property out in the country that had enough land to garden on.
- They built their house in stages, paying for it as they went, the only mortgage they had was on the land itself.
- My mother put a vegetable garden in the FRONT YARD. Unheard of even in the 70's, controversial today.
- My mother nursed her children during a period time when breastfeeding was at an all time low.
- We recycled cans and newspapers. Taking them to the recycle depot ourselves
- My mother canned her garden’s bounty.
- My father harvested dead wood for our wood stove. That means he did not cut down any green wood, just the dead wood in the forest. This is beneficial for the forest as in that it allows for sunlight to get to the forest floor and promote new growth.
So what can you do? Continue to stick to your convictions. Living a green lifestyle is not anything new, it is not a fad or a trend, and if you are looking for some encourage or inspiration check out these great Green Blogs.
Good Girl Gone Green
Big Green Purse
What challenges have you overcome to live your Green Lifestyle?