Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Saturday, May 14, 2011

When is a Weed not a Weed?–The Humble Dandelion and other useful plants explored

dandelion01

When is a weed a weed NOT a weed? To paraphrase my mother – a weed is a plant that is growing where YOU do not want it to.  So if you have wild onions growing in your yard are they weeds? What about cultivated onions? Really the question of what a weed is depends on who you are and how tolerant a gardener you are. Herbs are defined  a plant that is valued for flavor, scent, or other qualities. Herbs are used in cooking, as medicines, and for spiritual purposes. By this definition many common lawn/yard weeds are actually herbs.
Weeds on the other hand are simply defined but lawn care experts as
  1. a valueless plant growing wild, especially one that grows on cultivated ground to the exclusion or injury of the desired crop.
  2. a plant that is unattractive or troublesome
  3. a plant with vigorous growth that may choke out the desired plants
Not much different in reality from my mother’s definition.
When I did a search of common weeds I was surprised to see that so many of them are or where at one time considered useful plants, or herbs  Many of them are edible and have a long history of use.Some of the plants considered to be weeds in the United States are being cultivated or at least gathered in other parts of the world
Among the useful plants considered to be weeds are in no particular order;
Dandelion – is best known in herbal literature as a liver cleanser, and tonic. It detoxes the liver and strengthens the kidneys . An infusion of the root encourages the steady elimination of toxins from the body. Dandelion is a powerful diuretic but does not deplete the body of potassiumAs an early spring “green:” it is widely used in salads, cordials and is known for its wine.

Chickweed  Traditionally ,chickweed is used in an ointment form for skin conditions but is also used for inflammatory conditions such as rheumatism, psoriasis and joint inflammation. Like Dandelion it is also used in salads & cooked as a vegetable. Internally as a decoction this herb is used as a postpartum as an  emmenagogue, galactogogue and circulatory tonic.

Wild Onion  Of course it goes without saying that the wild onion is edible and tastes like onion. Wild onions are common in the spring. They grow freely in my garden and easily in my yard. We pull them and use them as you would green onions. Eating large quantities of any member of the allium family will  give your body an odor that will help to repel insects. Garlic juice works as an antibiotic on wounds

Lambsquaters (or Goosefoot)  besides being regarded as one of the most delicious of wild vegetables. It is in the same plant family as spinach and beets. It has also been dried and used as a flour by Native Americans.

Plantain is a jack of all trades herb, a true panacea, commonly found just about everywhere. I find it in my yard and gardens all the time. Because of its antibacterial properties it is commonly used to treat cuts received while gardening. Simply crush the leaves and place on the cut. To name just a few properties it is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, , diuretic, expectorant,  .  It has been used to treat  asthma, emphysema, bladder problems, bronchitis, fever, hypertension, rheumatism blood sugar control. peptic ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome,  cystitis, bronchitis, sinusitis, coughs, asthma and hay fever

Sorrel  has a distinctive lemony flavor. It has a been used as an antiseptic, and to treat fluid retention. Because it is high in Vitamin C it has a history of use to treat Scurvy.Young, tender spring leaves can be used as a salad green.

Speedwell (also known as Veronica)     was known as healthy, relaxing, herbal tea and tonic in the past.  Recent studies have shown Speedwell tea may be an effective preventative treatment for ulcers. Historically it has most often used been used for coughs and congestion.

Violets besides looking pretty violets have a long history of use to treat respiratory problems like bronchitis, colds, and coughs. Evidence also  exists that violets may have an action like aspirin.

Clover  the plant is a vegetable so it fixes nitrogen and hinders the process of erosion and is planted as a cover crop Red clover extract has been used as a blood purifier and steps-up the output of urine and mucous.

Purslane is packed with omega-3 fatty acids. A whole cup of it contains a mere 7 calories. One cup will also you provide you with 11% of your daily requirement of vitamin A and 15% of vitamin C. It has lots of other healthy nutrients as well. Low carb, no fat or cholesterol. It is healthier than spinach and is a dieter’s dreamIn the past it has been used to treat  fever, female disorders, stomach aches, hemorrhoids Hippocrates used it to heal wounds and to combat the common cold.
Feverfew    Scientific studies have shown the use of feverfew may ebb the frequency and severity of headaches. It may be more efficacious than other NSAIDS (nonsteroidal antiinflammatories) , like aspirin.
Resources for more information
Survival IQ
Sacred Earth
Gardens Ablaze
Botanical.com
Alternative Nature Online Herbal

6 comments:

Jackie said...

I love dandelions. Husband says they ruin your yard but I think they are darling. I've never tried their leaves though...waiting to live somewhere where the landlord isn't a fan of fertilizer.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Jackie, last time I checked you can buy dandelion greens in the store, they are in a lot of spring mixes. I have even seen SEEDS for them YES I said seeds. Plant your own in a container. I know it is crazy but true. People do it all the time

Unknown said...

New follower from the blog hop. I remember my first garden I pulled up all the plants and left the weeds because I didn't know the difference.

Unknown said...

My grandmother used to make us dandelion omelets, they were delicious! Following you from Pink Dandy Sunday Blog Hop!~Lisa
I am all a twitter about life

JTWisdom said...

Wow it's amazing what is edible. I think that in the past my lawn was professionally treated so the green onions and dandelions in my lawn would not be edible. I have seen cooking shows where dandelion was added to salads.

Commenting via blog hop.

JTwisdom

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Lisa, I have never heard of them in an omelet, but I suppose it would be like having spinach.

When I weed my flower beds I take use my wild onions. I look at it as FREE food.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest