Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Build Your Own Mexican Feast

I thought I would share this one a little early. I won’t forget our Real Food Thursday though and I will have something for you then too.
Build Your Own Mexican  Feast
IMG_3650IMG_3652

There is no need to save this recipe for just Cinco de Mayo. In fact we do some form of make your own burrito, taco, tostado. Well you get the idea. With all the different dietary requirements in our house. Build your own is a great solution in a house where you have dietary issues or just plain picky eaters.  This recipe can be altered for vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free. That is why we love build your own so much

Ingredients.
1 lb. ground beef (grass-fed from our favorite rancher).
1lb frozen corn
Freshly shredded cheese –(my family likes Monterey Jack) about 4 oz.
Can of organic diced tomatoes (good tomatoes are not in season here yet)
Can of refried black beans
Optional  pepper, onions, cilantro.( not shown here because they were not available at the time)
Steps
IMG_3647
brown the beef – the blurriness is actually the heat rising from the pan

IMG_3648
Pan roast the corn. (if using peppers and onions I like to roast them here)

IMG_3649
Assemble with  refried black beans, tomatoes, roasted corn, and any other optional ingredients you have. Serve over toasted corn tortillas . Eat and enjoy.
IMG_3650IMG_3652

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

Yum! My kids love 'self assemble' food. Does pan roasting the corn mean just constant stirring on a high heat? And do you toast the tortillas in the pan too? And are they corn tortillas?

I'm going to make this this week :)

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

To pan roast the corn I put it in a cast iron skillet. Heat the skillet first and add the corn. In this case the corn is frozen. I cook on high heat until I hear it start to pop.

For the tortillas I heat them in a skillet too or on my cast iron griddle pan. I get more on there.

Let me know how yours turns out and how the family likes it.

Pax

Keli said...

Yum! We love mexican food around here! Build your own is great I can have beans and hubby can have meat and the boys can pick and choose. :)

I've never heard of pan roasted corn before, I am going to have to try it!!!

Thanks for sharing at What's Cooking Thursdays!

www.savingthosedollars.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest