Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Knowledge is still out there

 

IMG_3505

Recently I went to the Children’s Museum with Pumpkin. A great place of learning  for everyone one. I am a HUGE fan of museums of all types for all ages. While we were there I was pleasantly surprised to discover in the make believe classroom something I grew up with. Not just  something but the EXACT same editions.

Encyclopedias

 IMG_3481Does anyone else remember these?  We had these two exact same sets in a reverent place in a bookcase in the living room, growing up. We had other sets too. But these two sets were the most used. Encyclopedias were not cheap. I can remember men, probably college students coming to the house trying to sell them. My mother got these at our local A & P grocery store. They would run a special each week and if you spent so much you got a book for a very LARGE discount.IMG_3482IMG_3483

Back then in the days before the internet, people relied on books for their information. Whenever we had a question about something my mother would say let’s go look it up in the Encyclopedia. Oh what great answers we found in those book. When I saw these books I had book envy. I am a bibliophile and I LOVE old books, especially those that remind me of my childhood. My little bit of nostalgia. I guess

IMG_3485

6 comments:

ThatsBaloney said...

Thanks for linking up with the RHOK!
I love science museums.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

In my former life, ie. before kids I was lucky enough to work at a couple of museums. I adored all the aspects of that work and take every opportunity to take my kids to museums, regardless of type, but especially those FREE ones.

The 4-Crows Blog said...

When I was in 5th grade my home was lost in a fire- one of the first things I thought of losing was my Encyclopedia Set! I guess because I knew how much my parents paid for it and because I was such a nerd! LOL! Thanks for linking up! Mrs. Hart

Annie Jones said...

We had that set of the Book of Popular Science. I LOVED those books when I was a kid!

jeri said...

Blast from the past! I was such a dork, I would read these cover to cover, sort of. I skipped anything science related but read anything related to history, government and politics. Wonder what they go for on ebay...

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

I almost hyperventilated when I saw these books. No -not really but I did get excited. I wonder if my mom still has hers somewhere.

Jeri - I just checked Ebay and they has some - newer editions and they are going for $120 +. And I remember sitting by the bookcase reading the books cover to cover too. I would read anything I could get my hands on.

Looks like it is time to hit the secondhand book stores. But first to make some room on my bookshelves.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest