Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Monday, May 30, 2011

Treating Poison Ivy Naturally

Peanut has come down with a good case of poison ivy. It just  would not be a holiday around our house unless someone ends up at Urgent Care. Thank God for Urgent Care.
IMG_4764What has started out looking like she was hit by a passing branch while walking through the woods has undoubtedly become a nice case of poison ivy. Until today when her eye started swelling shut we were using natural treatments for poison ivy. Today it was necessary to bring in the big guns. (the steroids). We like to avoid prescription drugs as much as we can here. Following the adage. First do no harm.






So how do we treat poison ivy naturally?
  • Wash the afflicted area thoroughly, some swear by Dawn dish detergent. But any good soap will do. Do this as soon as you suspect poison ivy.
  • Apply Aloe Vera to help soothe the skin
  • Jewel Weed , usually grows near poison ivy and can be crushed and applied to the skin. In our case Peanut got poison ivy from the dogs. So we are not sure where to find the jewel weed.
  • Rhus tox is a homeopathic remedy that people find success with. The stores around here are out of so be sure to get yours and have it on hand before you need it.
  • Apple Cider Vinegar makes a soothing wash and helps stop the itch – (what doesn’t vinegar work for?)
  • Tea Tree Oil –dilute it in a carrier oil like olive or almond and rub into affected area.
  • Oatmeal – make a paste it helps the skin heal. If the poison ivy is over a large area take a bath with oatmeal.
  • Baking Soda seems to help many who suffer from poison ivy
  • Cold compresses
  • Salt Water - an old fashion remedy for sure. My grandmother's favorite was to take someone to the beach and let them soak in the ocean. Since we live in the middle of the continent, the ocean is out of the question but a salt water treated pool certainly helps. 
So what did we do? We used all of these except the Rhus tox (did I tell you they are OUT of it all around town?). I will be ordering some. And since her eye started to swell shut we went to Urgent Care and she was prescribed a steroid, but wait. No pharmacy in town carried her dosage. They won’t have it for two more days. So we are continuing with the natural treatments until we can get her started on the steroids and she can see again. Poor child she is falling apart.

11 comments:

Megan @ Purple Dancing Dahlias said...

Sumac tea works wonders to prevent getting poison ivy. I used to get it just looking at it and last summer drank sumac tea and I have yet to get any this year even trudging through the edge of the woods to put up new cow fence.

Gretchen said...

Burt's Bees makes an AWESOME Poison Ivy soap to treat poison ivy irritation and it works like a charm. I love it!

Here's the link:
http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/outdoor-treatment/poison-ivy-soap.html

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Thanks for the info Megan and Gretchen. I will put the Burt's bees on my shopping list. We will have to try the sumac tea too. I am not sure how that will go over with Pumpkin since she is 10 but she is usually open to trying things at least once.

Heavenly Savings said...

Cute Blog! I loved it so much I decided to follow! Happy Tuesday! I would love for you to stop by and check out my blog as well! If you like it you can follow back! Thanks! Hope to blog with you again soon!

Http://heavenlysavings.blogspot.com

Marilyn said...

Hello, I found ya via blog hop and i'm officially following you from http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com - Off to enjoy more of your posts..:)) Great tips on poison Ivy..TY & hope you can stop by and visit me sometime.. :))

Carli said...

I hope that she starts feeling better soon. I can't imagine poison ivy on my eye! I'm a new follower from Family Blog Hop. http://www.grandmasguidetolife.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I found you on the blog hop, stop by and visit!

Patty said...

On the note of caution, most allergy reactions do get worse with each new onset. With that said, if a child has had a bad reaction once, do not hesitate to put them on the big guns. In our household, it is downright dangerous to let it work its course. The big guns come out immediately.

Patricia said...

When I got it the doctor did not want to give me the steroid shot. She gave me the cream though. Not much of anything helped but cold water.

I am following you via Totally Tuesday blog Hop.
I am already following you GFC.

http://itsabouttimemamaw.blogspot.com

Rachel @ day2day joys said...

I never knew what to do about poison ivy naturally, I'm so glad you posted this! How is Peanut now? Thanks so much for linking up with Healthy 2day Wednesdays! See you this Wednesday!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Rachel, we had to bring in the steroids when her eye started to swell shut. But she is all cleared up now. There comes a point when even using natural methods you have to use medicine. However to stop the peeling and flaking we are using olive oil on her face. She just absolutely loves it. Even if she does smell like a salad (her words).

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest