Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

What to know before you go to the farmer’s market.

In my family the going to the farmers market is an adventure. But what do you need to know before you go?

IMG_4710
What to know before you
  • Be sure to take cash small bills work best. Most vendors don’t take credit or debit cards. Although they will take SNAP benefits at our local markets.
  • Bring your own bags, some vendors have bags but don’t count on it. It is better to have a big bag to put all of your purchases in.
  • Wear comfortable shoes. Weekend markets can be quite large and entail a bit of walking
  • People will bring their dogs so don’t be surprised. Remember you are outside
  • It is okay to ask for samples, in fact many vendors are trying to give you one.
  • Have an idea of what you want to buy but keep an open mind. Today we bought garlic scrapes. Peanut was eating them raw while walking through the market. I put them into my homemade tomato  sauce.
  • It is okay to ask vendors how they like to cook the vegetables, if you have never bought that particular vegetable it is a good idea to ask for ideas.
  • Have an idea of what you want to buy, but be open to surprises. Like the strawberries that were there today.
  • Have a sense of adventure. Think about the farmer’s market through the eyes of your child. My kids think it is about as fun as any festival. Usually it is. Saturday markets may have musicians, the local news, freebies for kids and samples.
  • Speaking of kids – let your kids help pick out some of the purchases. This is a great time to teach them about quality, vegetables, or just get some insight into what they may be interested in eating.
IMG_4677

IMG_4678

Even for early in the season there was still plenty to get.
I was so happy to find early garlic today. And Pumpkin asked me to get Rainbow Chard. He wants to try it raw. The snow peas will probably be eaten raw straight from the fridge. And I can’t wait to cook up our grass fed ground beef. Such a good price too. $3.00/lb.  You will have to come back to see what I made with all these goodies.
IMG_4719











14 comments:

CatholicMommy said...

Good advice! Thanks!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

@CatholicMommy - happy shopping hope you have as much fun as we did.

Green Bean said...

Great how to list for the farmers' market! The cash one is KEY!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

@Green Bean - I made the mistake of not taking cash the first time I went to a farmer's market and then had to go find an ATM while toting along small children. You don't forget that mistake.

Gretchen said...

Hey there! Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment on my blog! I love hearing from you ladies- it makes me feel connected to all you wonderful folks out there! :o) Your blog is great and I will totally be following!

Blessings,
Gretchen @ The Proverbs Thirty-HUH?! Woman
proverbsthirtyhuh.blogspot.com

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Thanks for visiting Gretchen, I love making new friends too.

Anonymous said...

Great tips, thank you. I'm very interested to see what you cook with all that beautiful produce.

lindy said...

I'm your newest follower from Thankful for Friends Thursday. Would love it if you'd swing by my blog when you get a chance! ☺

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite things is the flower section as well organic free range eggs and real organic fruit and veggies.

Flora Loveday said...

I love shopping at the markets here in Mexico - saves me a bundle and the produce is straight from the farms, supporting the local economy.

On another note, I found you at the Almost Friday Blog Hop - following in every way I can now.
Cheers!
Flora Loveday
The Upper Hand
http://www.the-upper-hand.com/

jeri said...

My dad planted sweet corn this year and I just ate 2 "test ears" for lunch. Perfection. Our children will start selling it Monday (just like my brother & I did as kids).

Anne @ ModernMrsDarcy said...

Good tips! But be careful--some markets don't allow dogs in--which makes for very disappointed customers!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Thanks Anne, most of our markets here are outdoors but even still I am surprised to see dogs on leashes there. I don't think I would take any of our dogs though, since going to the farmer's market is part of our bigger errands.

Leontien said...

Those were all great tips! Now if we just had a bigger farmers market!

Thanks
Leontien and yes i found you true the blog hop!
www.fourleafcloverdairy.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest