Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Nicoise Salad–Recipe for When it is too Hot to Cook

IMG_4936

I have to say this one is a favorite at our house with everyone except the little guy. He won’t eat seafood because it makes him Seasick. But I digress.
Salad Nicoise originated in Southern France, around Nice to be precise. It is designed to take advantage of all the good early summer crops. Like Fresh Green Beans, Lettuces, New Potatoes, while taking full advantage of some economical sources of protein.  This is a dish that is best after it has sat for a while and had a chance to meld all the flavors together. For this reason it is best made in the morning and served later in the day. While the name is fancy and the dish is beautiful it is not as difficult to make as the name presumes.  You probably have most of the ingredients on hand at home. It is also very forgiving and you can make some substitutions .
Ingredients
  • 6 hard boiled eggs
  • 1 lb. of fresh green beans (you may substitute frozen)
  • 1 lb. of new potatoes – I used Yukon gold but I also like red potatoes
  • 3-6 oz. of tuna flaked – It is okay to use canned
  • 1/2 lb. of salad greens – I like mixed greens
  • olives
  • 1/2 cup of Dijon vinaigrette
  • Olive oil
  • 2-3 Garlic cloves

  1. snip your green beans if fresh.
  2. Add olive oil to a sturdy pan like a Dutch oven, peel and chop garlic. Sauté garlic in olive oil , adding the green beans. Sauté the green beans in olive oil until coated. Add broth or water and bring to a boil. Cook for 7 minutes and then turn off heat. Drain and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking if you prefer green beans more al dente. Or let sit in the hot water if you like your green beans more soft.
  3. Quarter the potatoes, cut smaller if need be. They should be about bite sized. Cook until a fork goes through easily. Drain and coat with the Dijon  Vinaigrette
  4. Dress the tuna with the Dijon Vinaigrette
  5. Once all the ingredients have been cooked you can begin to assemble the salad. Place your greens on the plate, surround the greens with your potatoes and your Garlic Green Beans. Garnish with some olives. Peel and halve the hardboiled eggs.
  6. Dig in and eat. If you are lucky your salad will look like mine when it is done.
IMG_4941


For more great recipes check out these sites The Nourishing Gourmet - Pennywise PlatterKelly The Kitchen Kop. Real Food WednesdayTraditional Tuesdays

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of our family's favorites, too. Yummo!

Jen

GiGi said...

Anchovies, hard boiled eggs, tuna, olives, green beans & lettuce - beautiful combo - just beautiful... ha ha.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

@ Gigi - I left out the anchovies. No one here is a fan of them. But yes they are usually part of the recipe.

Jason@JLHealth said...

I love to get my greens so I will definitely be trying this one!

Thanks for sharing at the hearth and soul hop.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

when I have time I will include the homemade dressing recipe too. So easy to make and much better for you too.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest