Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Corpus Christi


the-papal-procession-on-the-feast-of-corpus-christi-engraved-by-francois-alexandre-villain-1798-1884
Corpus Christi, it is more than a place in Texas. A couple of years ago, my husband was asked when a particular picture was taken, he said Corpus Christi, the person on the other end of the phone looking at the picture text thought he said the picture was taken in  Corpus Christi, not on  Corpus Christi. So what is Corpus Christi, and why is a city in Texas named it?
Corpus Christi is a feast day  in the Catholic Church that got it’s start in primarily due to the petitions of the thirteenth-century Augustinian  nun Juliana of Liege. From her early youth Juliana had a veneration for the Blessed Sacrament, and always longed for a special feast in its honor.
This feast is perhaps better well known in other countries are they still carry on the outdoor processions with the Body of Christ in the Monstrance. I can remember being in Paris France and wishing to attend Mass at Notre Dame. My husband and I with our then three month old daughter happened upon the procession for Corpus Christi outside in the streets of Paris.  We were able to join in and attend the next mass. 
We are lucky here to celebrate the feast of Corpus Christi at the Cathedral with a full procession and Benediction. This year we will all be attending the mass for this celebration. Because of the very HOT conditions we have here, it always seems to be 100 degrees on this feast day, our Bishop wisely says this mass at 5pm rather than at 11am, under the direct sun.
I don’t know if we will all get to process, but I am sure I will be saying a special prayer for the priests and deacons who will be fully vested in this unseasonably warm heat.

After reading this over I realized I did not answer the second question. Why is Corpus Christi  Texas named Corpus Christi? It is so named because it was name so by the Spanish who name it that in honor of the Blessed Sacrament.

2 comments:

Terri & Angela said...

We love you, we love this blog, and we are so happy to see you exist. We will be back. What a beautiful marriage between practicality, environmental stewardship, and spirituality. Keep it going! :)

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Thank you, it is great to hear that. It makes me feel good to know that people want to hear what I have to say.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest