Carolina Style BBQ Sauce
The Fourth of July is Coming up, for many people that means cook outs and BBQ. I have been on the search for a BBQ Sauce that is sweet with a little zing. One without HFC Syrup. One with natural ingredients. You can find them but this one was so quick and easy to make. My only wish is that I had doubled the recipe so I would not have to make it again so quickly.
Have you considered making your own BBQ Sauce? Really it is not that hard. And just think of all the endless variations you could make. For someone like me who likes to take a recipe as a suggestion and tweak it , the possibilities are endless.
Basic Ingredients. - taste this along the way and tweak to suit your needs – I like my heat to come from the allspice and nutmeg, but you may prefer flavor of chili.
- 1 cup of Onions Grated
- 2/3 – 1 cup carrots Grated
- 2 –3 cloves of garlic – I like organic – it has more flavor and I think heat
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. Molasses
- 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 - 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 –1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 ginger
- 1/4 nutmeg
- sea salt a pinch or two
- Ground Pepper – freshly ground couple of rounds around the pan
- Optional if you like more heat – Chili Powder to taste
- Grate the onions and carrots and garlic
- Combine them in a skillet with 2tbs of molasses and a drizzle of olive oil. Sweat the onions and carrots a bit and thoroughly mix the molasses. This will give it a depth of flavor.
- Put the sautéed onions, carrots and garlic mix in a sauce pan.
- Add the vinegar, molasses and spices, tasting as you go.
- At this point add the sugar 1/4 cup at a time. Adjusting until you get the desired sweetness.
- Cook for 30 minutes on a low simmer, until flavors are thoroughly blended.
- Remove from heat and Blend – I like to use my immersion blender (it is older than my first two children's ages combined- but still gets the job done).
- After blending strain through a fine sieve or a cheese cloth
- Immediately make another batch because this will not be enough. We made it through one meal and it was gone.