Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Monday, June 6, 2011

10 Easy Ways Live More Green Today

10472h81c65rvjv

I did not become a Green Granola Catholic all at once. I have been making small changes all along.

  1. Bring your own water bottle – I have recently seen aluminum bpa free water bottles for as little as a $5.  If you buy one of these it will pay for itself in a about a week.
  2. Use a ceramic travel mug for your coffee. I recently got one for under $3. Not the prettiest color in my opinion but hey it was under $3.
  3. Get a programmable thermostat. No need to cool or heat a house when you are not home.
  4. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Buy less stuff, reuse or repurpose what you have, and then lastly recycle.
  5. Wash laundry in the cold cycle.
  6. Check your insulation. Do you have enough? Most homes do not. If you can see the rafters you DO not have enough. Experts recommend 18” of insulation.
  7. Turn off the lights. Really do you need so many lights on? Do I sound like my father now? If you don’t want to turn off the lights at least get some compact fluorescent bulbs or check out the next generation, LED lights
  8. Use a clothesline. This saves on energy all around
  9. Buy local food if you can.  Farmer’s Markets are a great resource if you have access to one.
  10. Use Natural Cleaners.- you can even make your own.

Technorati Tags: ,

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic post! I need to start doing more myself to help the "green movement" :) You've given me lots of great ideas! Following you!!

I really like your blog - I'm trying to get mine off the ground and was wondering if you could come check it out and consider following.

http://www.guitartrump.blogspot.com/

Hope you have an *amazing* day! :)

Alex

GrammaD said...

Great post! I have two loads out on the line that were washed in cold water. We are trying to become more green.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Gramma D. good for you! This time of year I find that my clothes line is faster than the dryer. Of course that means I can get more laundry done in a day. Maybe I will be able to catch up this week.

Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama said...

Excellent advice, and I'm proud to say I'm following all of it!

Jacqueline said...

I am so happy I found your blog. I write for The Organic Blonde http://theorganicblonde.com, and love when I find lists that are simple and show people real ways they can become greener that actually can save them money! Also thanks for the Catholic Culture widget links.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Jacqueline, so glad you stopped by. I saw you on someone else's blog but could not find your blog. AS for the Catholic Widgets there are so many more, just do a google search fro free catholic widgets

Mike said...

Great post- I write a daily Green Idea, and it's one of my most popular posts every day, so people do like to read about being green. New follower from the hop!

Grandma Bonnie said...

Great post. I love being green.
New follower from the blog hop. Hope you follow back. http://grandmabonniescloset.blogspot.com/

Grace said...

Great list and for those that are starting out going green this would be a great help in the right direction.
I'm hopping over here from Thurs. Cup of Joe and now following you via GFC

Shana said...

Great tips! I am always trying to be green. This list will help me to remember so of the simpler things that I can do in addition to recycling. Thanks!

http://blog.writerslairbooks.com

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest