Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Easy Lemon Crockpot Chicken

For More Real Food Recipes check here
IMG_4671











This is perhaps one of my favorite recipes for an easy dinner or when whole chickens go on sale. 
This is not so much a recipe as a method of cooking chicken.  I will alter the seasonings as the seasons change to take advantage of the different ingredients available.
IMG_4665
  • 1/2 cup of lemon juice
  • sea salt
  • bay leaf
  • olive oil
  • chicken
  1. Wash the chicken thoroughly inside and out
  2. Rub the chicken with olive oil and sea salt
  3. Insert bay leaf under the skin
  4. place in crockpot and cook for 4 hours on high heat or 8 hours on low.
IMG_4666
  I served mine with brown rice and green beans, but it is good with a salad too.
*don’t forget to save the bones and liquid to make  Overnight Crockpot Broth, just pop them in the freezer till you get a chance to make it, or make it right away. If you choose the latter than you don’t have to wash out your crockpot.

For more great food and recipe ideas check out ,Family Favorites at Gooseberry PatchNourishing Gourmet - Pennywise Platter Fresh Bites FridayTraditional Tuesday's

12 comments:

Martha A. said...

Looks good!

Jackie said...

I debated buying a crockpot but since I'm on a low-acid diet I don't know if it would work. I feel like you need acid to keep the meat tender when you cook it that long (like lemon or tomatoes). I do chicken in the dutch oven occasionally though.

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

Great tip! A whole chicken on sale always seems like a good buy but can be intimidating. But I love my slow cooker, yes I do :)

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Jackie, I cook in the crockpot all the time and there are times I don't even add any liquid to the crockpot. Most store bought meat has enough added liquid that you don't need to add any. but if you want to seal in those juices sear you meat frist in a cast iron skillet.

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

So I made this tonight, and it was excellent! The whole chickens were on sale so I took it as a sign :)

Modified the spices slightly based on what we had, but you can't really go wrong with a chicken, ya know?

It was great! We were able to use the tendons and joints to make food for the dogs and right now the bones and veggie trimmings are back in the crock pot for overnight broth. Exciting!

Thank you!

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Glad it turned out well for you. It is soo easy peasy as my kids would say. I took overnight crockpot broth from the other night's chicken and used it to make quinoa. Yummy.

Gooseberry Patch said...

Just stopping by to say thank you so much for linking up to our Family Favorite Recipe Round-Up today! We'd love to include your recipe (and any other you'd like to share) in an upcoming Gooseberry Patch cookbook. When you have a moment, would you mind stopping by our website and sharing it with us there? Here's a link: http://bit.ly/GBPsharearecipe Add the code RRU-FF to the Special Code field and we'll keep an eye out for it. :) If it's selected for publication, we'll let you know, and you'll receive a free copy of the cookbook too! Thanks again for sharing on our blog today...we appreciate it!

juliecache said...

got here from simple lives thursday. will have to try this. we're catholic, too!

Rachel @ day2day joys said...

This looks healthy & yummy! I haven't ever made my own broth but would love to try it! Thanks again for participating in Healthy 2day Wednesdays & I appologize for not commeting sooner, there was a malfunction with my commenting, not even able to comment on my own blog. Anyhow, hope to see you in the link up tomorrow!

annies home said...

love creating great food in my crockpot and this recipe sounds amazing with all the outside work, summer good times etc.. this would be wonderful to fix come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Christine said...

This sounds great except for the part about washing the chicken. I cannot stand handling raw chicken, even with gloves. Why do we have to wash chickens anyway??

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Christine, there are soo many reasons why you should wash your chicken. But my primary one is to wash off all the solution that is used in processing chicken.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest