Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss a thing. You can subscribe via email. or rss feed. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter o4 follow me on Pinterest

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Replacing and Reducing Plastic in Your House - the frugal way

In our quest to reduce our use of plastics I am looking to replace some of the every day items in our house with more eco-friendly ones. I  went out this week to do a little shopping. First of all shopping is not one of my favorite things. I prefer to save money not spend it.  So I was overjoyed at these finds.  I am in no way being paid to endorse these products or stores but just wanted to share with you that alternatives to plastic need not be expensive.
These bamboo coat hangers were such a deal that I snatched up all theyIMG_4824 had.  I don’t know if you can read the price but I got 4 in a pack for just $2. at Big Lots.  I don’t know if they regularly carry these. But you can bet I will look for them next time I go back. These normally retail anywhere from $9.95 to $12. I was obviously doing a little happy dance.  Plastic hangers on average cost  about .35 –.40 cents. So  at .50 I consider these bamboo hangers to be a good deal even when compared to the plastic alternative.  If you break a plastic hanger where is it going to go? The only answer is the trash. They don’t recycle the plastic used in hangers. Lord knows I have broken my share of plastic hangers. Now if I should happen to break one of these bamboo or the wooden hangers. I have many options. I can always try to repair it first, use it in the garden as a tie back stick, even compost it.
IMG_4826While at Ross I found this pack of 10 Sold Wood hangers for $7. These are a little heavier duty than the bamboo ones, but still a good deal.  That is about 30% off the regular price at Target.
IMG_4827
While at Ross, I also found a new glass jar for $2.49 and this ceramic travel mug. for under $3 (can’t remember the exact price right now). The ceramic travel mugs are going for at least $5 in most places sometimes up to $15. As for the glass jar, it is a French style with the locking lid. I love this type for holding all of my grains and beans. I just priced this online and they normally run $15.  When I spotted the jar and the price I knew it was a must have, since I have paid more for one of these at the thrift stores.
Total cost of items bought $16.49 Total Saved over retail 58%. Did I mention I like a bargain? Moral of the story it does not necessarily cost more to buy green.

8 comments:

Beautifully Forgiven, Kortney said...

Hi! Thanks so much for joining us for the Super Stalker Sunday Blog Hop! It's so cool because I am stalking you! hehe :)
Be sure to come back and join us again next weekend for another fun fill weekend of Super Stalking! Have a great rest of the weekend!
Again, thanks for linking up,
Kortney
Kortney's Krazy Life

Laura O in AK said...

Following you from Relax and Surf hop. I'm always happy to find other Catholic bloggers :o)

Banishing plastic hangers is a goal in my house. They might be cheap, but I'm tired of finding remnant from the boys' closet.

Hope you'll pop over to check out my blog sometime. I'm following you now and looking forward to reading more in the future.

Lisa - the Granola Catholic said...

Laura, I know what you mean, they ALWAYS break here at our house. These hangers that I found I got at such a GOOD price they are comparable to the plastic ones you can buy. I hope I find more great deals on them in the future. 18 hangers won't go far in my house, but it is a start.

Summer said...

Great blog!
I'm your newest follower from the Super Stalker Blog Hop! I'm following via GFC and Facebook.
Come check me out when you get the chance:
Carolina Summer

Lisa Weidknecht said...

Thank you for joining in the Planet Weidknecht Sunday Hop! I'm a loyal follower of yours!

Love the wooden hangers! What a deal.

Nikki said...

From what I understand, wood hangers are so much better for your clothes than plastic. I'm a new follower from the Super Stalker hop!

Nikki
Pretty Opinionated

Meryl said...

Nice to meet you on the bloghop. I love your ideas...I'll be back for more.

Camille said...

What a fun blog! Found you on the Blog Hop and I am happy that I did! I am excited to see what you do next. :) I am your newest follower and I would love to have you follow back if you want!
Camille @
http://sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love my visitors, and I love your comments too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thanks for joining me here, if you enjoy what you see take a moment and join me you can, Subscribe by RSS Feed or find me on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest